TRUJILLO DEL PERÚ
Trujillo is the second city in importance in Peru, and the third in population with about 800 000 inhabitants. Their economy is based mainly in the sugar cane production, artichokes and asparaguses that are cultivated basically for the exportation.
The city was founded by Diego de Almagro in December, 1534, very near to the capital of the Chimu Kingdom. Their design and planning was made according to the habit Spanish style with square blocks and the main square in the center of the city.
The first constructions were built according to the Renaissance influence, however, the earthquake 1619 (February, 14) destroyed a big part of the city, reason why the architecture was renovated to the barroque style.
After the Independence the architecture had a change again. In the city began to be erected to the neo-classic style, with big windows of wrought and melted iron.
Just, 5 kilometers from Trujillo are located the Huacas del Sol y La Luna that corresponds to what was the Ancient Capital of the Moche Culture. Another historical symbol of Trujillo is Chan Chan, the World’s Largest Mud City, capital of the Chimu Kingdom. It occupies an area of 14 square kilometers, and only one of the 9 palaces is visited.
The tours close with gold fastener visiting the fishing village of Huanchaco, where is still possible to see the fragile "Caballito de Totora" (Small horse reed boat) that are used by the local fishermen, descendants and heirs of this ecological fishing tradition.
See page of the author